Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Try something new...

Most of my sewing orders are done 'custom'. Not just previously made items re-made in your fabric choices. I love a challenge, so if you can think of it and describe it to me, I will try to make it for you :)

A couple of weeks ago, a customer approached me with a request for a Tissue Box Cover and a Passport Wallet. I had never made either of those items before, but I have seen them around on different sites. So after a bit of browsing, pattern-drawing, measurements and math, I was ready to get started.


I love this cute fabric from Timeless Treasures. 


It turned out quite well! Fits a regular Kleenex box (200-ct) perfectly! I added a wide elastic band across the bottom to keep the cover securely in place, as this is going to be used in a car :)


For the passport wallet, she specified that she needed a secure zipper pocket that could hold 2 passports, some slots for holding credit cards, travel documentation, airline tickets, etc. 
This is the design I came up with. 

Quilted with cotton batting inside to protect the contents...and a strong (but not too strong) magnetic closure.


Nice and roomy...holds 2 passports side by side in the lined zippered pocket, a small tablet (that is a Google Nexus 7), 2-4 credit cards, earplugs, a pen/pencil, travel documentation/tickets.

I love coming up with my own version of certain items ... as much as I love buying and following patterns, this gives me so much more flexibility to custom make items in any size/style/dimensions.



No comments:

Post a Comment